CRICKET West Indies (CWI) Chief Executive Officer Chris Dehring has confirmed that no official report was ever filed in relation to allegations of sexual harassment within the West Indies Women’s team during the 2020 ICC Women’s T20 World Cup.
Dehring, addressing the matter in a press briefing on Monday, explained that the organisation’s recent joint statement with the West Indies Players’ Association (WIPA) was a response to media reports that surfaced recently and not to any formal internal complaint lodged at the time of the alleged incident.
“We do not have any official report of any specific action or allegation,” Dehring said. “We were simply responding to the allegation as it occurred in the media, which was just recently. The event took place five years ago.”
He added that even current media coverage remains speculative in nature. “No one is named. There was not a specific report,” he said. “What was gratifying was that when the issue arose, there had already been a tremendous amount of work done by the organisation over a number of years implementing safeguarding policies and plans.”
Dehring noted that Cricket West Indies has worked with several regional and multilateral agencies in crafting comprehensive guidelines to prevent and address abuse or misconduct.
“There is a very experienced HR committee in place, and we have utilised multiple agencies across the region to support the development of our safeguarding framework,” he stated. “There’s a comprehensive training programme for staff and players, particularly at events like [sic] the Cricket World Cup, to ensure proper corporate conduct.”
CWI President Dr Kishore Shallow also weighed in, reiterating the board’s commitment to maintaining a safe and respectful environment.
“We have a zero-tolerance policy against any form of abuse in the organisation. This applies to players, staff, and everyone involved,” Shallow said.
He revealed that measures to embed this policy into the organisation’s culture had been in place for several years. “I remember in 2019 or 2020 when the matter was topical internally, then-president Ricky Skerritt engaged the HR team to ensure that anti-abuse provisions were included in all contracts for anyone engaged with Cricket West Indies,” he said.
On March 27, CWI and WIPA issued a joint statement acknowledging awareness of the media report regarding the 2020 allegation and reaffirmed their commitment to athlete safeguarding.
Among the measures implemented since then include strengthened tour policies in 2021, single-room accommodation parity for the senior women’s team since 2023, and adherence to UNICEF’s child-protection guidelines.
WIPA and CWI have also announced a forthcoming review of current safeguarding policies to ensure continued alignment with best practices and international standards.
“Every player deserves to feel safe, valued, and fully focused on their career,” the joint statement read. “We remain committed to fostering a culture of respect, accountability, and professionalism within West Indies cricket.” (Sportsmax)