CUSTOMS Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) prosecutor, Kunyo Sandyford-Thompson, yesterday appealed to city Magistrate Judy Latchman to summon television news reporter Travis Chase and his video operator to the witness stand to testify against self-confessed drug dealer Barry Dataram in court. During an exclusive interview with HGPTV’s Travis Chase in February, Dataram admitted his own involvement in the drug trade, but added that he had never been convicted for a criminal offence. “Yes, I do drugs. I wouldn’t lie, but I have never been convicted,” Dataram said proudly.

He had been arrested several times but escaped even the clutches of United States law enforcement after an extradition attempt failed.
However, during trial on Thursday, the request was met with an objection by Dataram’s lawyer, Mr. Glenn Hanoman.
According to Hanoman, his client had testified in the Commission of Inquiry (COI) into allegations of corruption at the Customs Anti-Narcotics Unit (CANU) based upon the outcome of the interview.
The lawyer further pointed out that with the ongoing CANU CoI, it would cause conflict in this case against Dataram.
Magistrate Latchman however adjourned the matter until May 4, when she will decide whether to summon the reporter and his video operator to court.
Speaking with the Guyana Chronicle via telephone yesterday, Chase expressed his willingness to attend court if he is summoned.
“I’m a law-abiding citizen and also a journalist and if I’m summoned to court that I’ll do,” Chase told this publication.