Mother refuses million-dollar settlement
-willing to face off with shooter
MARCEL Griffith, mother of 15-year-old Alex Griffith who was shot in his mouth by a police cadet officer, said one million dollars is not going to cause her to turn a blind eye to what the police officer did to her son.
Further, the woman said, no form of compensation would be able to repair the trauma and injury caused to her son by the bullet of an arrogant police officer who allowed his emotions to direct his actions.
Griffith’s son was shot in the mouth by a police cadet officer who responded to a call from his sister after she had allegedly been robbed while walking through East La Penitence last week Wednesday.
Speaking with reporters after her son had been discharged from hospital, yesterday, Marcel Griffith said she prefers that the police officer face the full force of the law.
The woman related that the pace at which investigations into the matter are proceeding and the complexion the probe is taking on leave much to be desired, and she is not pleased.
She questioned why the implicated ranks had not as yet been charged for the act, and revealed that the police have not been updating her on the state of the investigation.
However, this newspaper was informed last week that the matter is engaging the attention of the GPF’s Office of Professional Responsibility, from which advice would be sought. At the moment, the incident is being investigated, upon completion of which the findings would determine the GPF’s subsequent course of action.
Ms Marcel said she would appreciate having a discussion with the police rank who hurt her son in what she described as a senseless shooting. She said the shooting incident was totally unnecessary, and that the police officer overreacted.
“I would like to sit in front of the police that shot my son and ask him what is his reason. It did not call for that…. I want to ask him face-to-face why he shot my child?” the woman declared.
With respect to the medical expenses and the running to and from the hospital, Ms Marcel told reporters the fact that she has been caring for her children single-handedly compounds the strenuousness of the situation.
She explained that had it not been for the Almighty, her son might have been dead today; but God saved the child’s life that he might be a testimony to others.
Meanwhile, Crime Chief Leslie James told reporters yesterday that the errant rank has been taken off of close arrest, since the 72 hours’ detention period is up. He added that the GPF is in constant contact with the man, and he would not be allowed to cheat the course of justice.
The Crime Chief made it clear that this case will not be like similar cases of police shootings, where the ranks have managed to skip the country, causing the investigation to be stalled.
(By Leroy Smith)