A police rank is nursing serious injuries at the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPHC) Intensive Care Unit after shot in his abdomen yesterday morning just after 06:00 hours as he and other ranks were preparing to be issued their weapons at the Tactical Service Unit at the headquarters of the Guyana Police Force for the day to perform their police duties.
Constable Christoher Jonathan Albert, 22, of lot 37 “G” Sir David Street, Rose Hall, Berbice was the cop who was shot.
The Guyana Chronicle was informed that as Constable Hope got his weapon and was loading same it reportedly went off hitting Albert in the abdomen and exiting his buttocks.
The cop was immediately rushed to the GPHC and his relatives said his colleague was immediately taken into custody.
The police were up to yesterday afternoon still continuing their investigations and questioned several persons from whom statements were also taken. The police were also checking to see if the standard operating procedures (SOPs) were followed during the issuing of the firearms and its subsequent loadings.
Yesterday morning at the GPHC the mother of the injured cop said that she was at her Rose Hall Berbice Home preparing for church when she received the call that her son was shot.
She said that the persons who told her of the incident did not have much detail but shortly after ranks in a patrol from ‘B’ Division turned up at their home and spoke with the father of the shot cop.
Again there was not sufficient information and the parents of the injured cop were told to that he was in a critical condition and advised to travel to the city as soon as possible which they did.
Constable Albert has been in the Guyana Police Force for just one month under two years. Yesterday his mother vowed that this is the end of the police work for her son and said that he was going to be guided out of the force.
Yesterday morning the wife of the injured policeman said that they have only been married a year and one month. She said that she believes that the shooting of the rank has more to it pointing to a recent incident her husband brought her up to date with last week.
She said that her husband spoke to her on the phone on Tuesday night and before they got off the phone she informed him to take his mobile phone and place it into his locker but he apparently fell asleep with it on the bed.
The woman related that when he awoke the following morning the phone was missing and another rank claimed to have knowledge of who picked up the phone and that was related to Albert.
The man’s wife said that her husband told her that the man who was being accused of stealing the phone left the headquarters and travelled to Linden and only returned on Saturday.
She said that Albert had declared publically that he was going to take the matter to his superiors. Yesterday morning the relatives of the injured cop said that they are not sure if the shooting has a connection but that they feel it does.
Yesterday this publication was unable to ascertain if the man accused of stealing the mobile blackberry phone is the same person who reportedly accidently shot Albert.
Yesterday the doctor who attended to the injured cop in the operating room said the bullet which entered and exited the cop’s body damaged both of his intestines.
The doctor related that they were able to repair some of the tissues and a temporary bag has been placed within his body to assist with the functions of the damaged intestine which was damaged the most.
He also said that once they see the temporary arrangement is serving its purpose and the rank is able to eat he is likely to be discharged.
However, in the interim the maximum time the doctors are looking to keep the injured policeman is seven days providing all goes well. He has been taken out of immediate danger, the doctor added.