Donald Rodney vows to continue protest until he receives justice
Donald Rodney, along with several others, protesting outside the Court of Appeal
Donald Rodney, along with several others, protesting outside the Court of Appeal

DONALD Rodney, the brother of the late Working People’s Alliance (WPA) leader, Dr. Walter Rodney, has vowed to continue his protest in front of the Court of Appeal until a date is set for his appeal against his 1982 conviction for possession of explosives.
Walter Rodney was killed during a bomb blast in 1980.

“I was falsely charged and convicted back in 1982 and I gave notice of appeal, fast forward to this year. I filed an appeal with the Court of Appeal with their permission and that appeal is still to go forward,” he stated.

Upon recently checking the registry, Donald stated that he was told that trial records were not available and the Court of Appeal was not satisfied with the trial records and he would be contacted the following day.

“They said they would contact me the same day and that was two months ago and they haven’t got back to me. With the circumstances I felt that I need to move to protest against that sort of inaugural delay and that sort of treatment,” he stated.
He added that there was an attempted appeal in the High Court, which he was unaware of and deemed it a contravariance behind his back to dismiss his appeal.
Donald is asking for the said unlawful appeal to be investigated and for his case to be heard.

He said he had written the Supreme Court Registrar, Sueanna Lovell, last year, requesting the name(s) of those purporting to file his appeal, but did not receive a response.
The younger Rodney was convicted for being in possession of an explosive, which allegedly killed Dr. Rodney. For this, he served 18 months in prison.
Donald Rodney was reported to have been the person to witness the explosion which killed his brother on June 13, 1980.

A Commission of Inquiry (CoI) had been set up on February 8, 2014, to determine who was responsible for the death of the world-renowned historian, by examining the circumstances which lead to the bomb blast. The report of the commission did not point to any one person or entity.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.