PRESIDENT David Granger has extended an invitation to Opposition Leader, Bharrat Jagdeo, for a meeting to he held after Monday, June 24, 2019 at the Ministry of the Presidency, to discuss the current political situation in Guyana.
According to the Ministry of the Presidency, in a letter dated June 20, 2019, the President, through Director General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph Harmon, said the meeting will examine the political situation in light of the recent rulings of the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) and Monday’s consequential orders.
A no-confidence motion, brought against the government last December, was properly passed as was declared by the Speaker of the National Assembly, Dr. Barton Scotland, the CCJ said in a landmark ruling on Tuesday last.
Following the ruling, President Granger has urged Guyanese to support him and the APNU+AFC Coalition at the next elections, even as he declared his respect for Tuesday’s CCJ rulings on the no-confidence motion against his government and his earlier appointment of Justice James Patterson as the chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission.
In a televised address to the nation, President Granger said, “Guyana, since my election in 2015, has been moving in the right direction after 23 years of stagnation under successive PPP administrations. Significant progress has been made. But real change is neither quick nor easy to come by. There is still a lot more to do.”
He said he would devote his time serve all citizens. “I will devote all my energies until the forthcoming election to serve our people and our country and deliver good governance. Guyanese can confidently expect to live in a country that is moving forward; with communities that are safer; in a society that is more cohesive; with better infrastructure, greater access to quality education and an economy that is more resilient – providing better jobs.”
Noting that his administration is on the right path, the Guyanese leader said, “when the election comes, I urge all our people, of whatever background, to support me and the APNU+AFC coalition to give us the opportunity to secure the best future for Guyana. I call on all Guyanese to remain calm and I assure you that the government will abide by the Constitution of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana.”
He said it is now clear that the Guyanese people need certainty about the future and a way forward. “I want to outline a clear path. It is essential that we hold fair, free and credible elections. We cannot proceed on the current list of voters. It is outdated and corrupted. It may hold as many as 200,000 incorrect entries. What’s more, those who have reached the age of 18 years since the last elections are not on it.”
ALL MUST VOTE
According to the President, the Constitution entitles all citizens over the age of 18 the right to vote. “It is a democratic imperative that house-to-house registration be completed swiftly so we can have an election at the earliest opportunity. The Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission, Justice Patterson, has previously informed me that the commission will be ready to hold elections in November 2019. This will be after the completion of house-to-house registration. I now await a recommendation for a specific date from GECOM and I will then issue a proclamation.”
He noted that the country will be heading to the polls and there is going to be a crucial choice for our citizens.
There have been nationwide protests as persons called on GCEOM to commence the process of house-to-house registration in the lead up to the polls.
CORRECTION: We incorrectly stated on the front page of TODAY’S print edition that the meeting is set for Monday. We apologise to all concerned for this error.