Labour Dept launches probe industrial deaths, injuries
Minister with responsibility for Labour, Keith Scott
Minister with responsibility for Labour, Keith Scott

By Zena Henry

THE Department of Labour has launched investigations into at least three separate incidents that left persons dead or injured while performing duties at their place of work.

Minister with responsibility for Labour, Keith Scott told the Guyana Chronicle on Monday that his department is also keeping a keen eye on what is currently taking place with the Camp Street prison riot and fire which has so far left one prison guard dead.

Scott told the newspaper that while the Camp Street prison matter is still an active one, the ministry will at the earliest opportunity commence engagements with the relevant agencies to render support and investigative requirements where necessary. The minister said his staff is expected to team up with various agencies such as police, prison officials, among others to afford itself a complete assessment of the situation.

Odinga Wickham, a prison warder attached to the Camp Street Prison died Sunday night after he was shot in his chest presumably by prisoners, who had set fire to several buildings in the compound, before attacking prison personnel with improvised weapons and attempting to escape.

Scott expressed condolences to the relatives of the dead rank before reassuring that as soon as possible, an investigation will be launched into the prison warder’s death and the injuries sustained by other prison guards who were said to have been chopped and stabbed by inmates, thus requiring medical attention. In the meantime, investigations are ongoing into the death of Gerald Henry, who was shot to the chest and later died following a botched robbery at a supermarket in Dennis Street, Sophia a week ago. The death of another security guard Sammy Powell is also under investigation. He was found about four days ago with his throat slit in front of the business property that he was supposed to be protecting on Robb Street.

Currently, the labour department is collaborating with Republic Bank and other agencies, following the failed robbery attempt that occurred at that facility last Tuesday. One bank robber was killed and others injured when security personnel attached to the bank opened fire on the intruders. Scott told the newspaper that the ministry’s investigations are being conducted in keeping with its mandate of 100 percent investigative capacity. He said that the aim is to ascertain the atmosphere of the workers’ at the time of their deaths; whether in the course of executing their duties or otherwise. He said the investigations also involve whether occupational and safety and operating procedures were applied or exit, particularly where the private agencies providing security services are concerned.

The Republic Bank robbery may have left some workers traumatised. The ministry in its investigations is also ensuring that these persons receive the necessary assistance and is thus working with the bank and other stakeholders to address the situation. Labour staffers are currently conducting site visits and engagements with relevant parties to produce the necessary reports. Scott said that under the ministry’s occupational, safety and health mandate, “workers are the number one priority.” He pointed out that, “Once someone is killed or injured on the job; military or civilian, we have an interest in what goes on at the workplace.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.