West Berbice double murder accused for High Court trial

The three West Berbice men accused of the murders of an octogenarian businessman and his reputed wife at Bush Lot, West Coast Berbice, a little over a year ago, have been committed to stand trial in the High Court for the offence.

Magistrate Rhondell Weever, presiding at the Fort Wellington Magistrate’s Court, ruled that a prima facie case had been made out against Rooplall Ibrahim, also called Vijai,24, of Bath, West Coast Berbice, Gokool Madanpaul, also called Clown,18, also of Bath and 19-year-old Nezamadeen Rafik, also known as Shazim, of Bush Lot, West Coast Berbice, at the end of a preliminary inquiry into the capital charge.

During the PI thirteen witnesses including policemen and civilians led by Prosecutor Corporal Racquel Mars, laid depositions. The Prosecutor also tendered twenty five exhibits in support of the case of the police. During the PI Magistrate , ruled that the confession statements obtained from the three men were free and voluntary and therefore admissible as evidence. The three men allegedly murdered Doodnauth Arthur Rajkumar, 81, and his 49-year-old partner Dianne Chamanlall, also known as Devi, of School Dam, Bush Lot, West Coast Berbice, on January 9, 2016.

The victims who lived together in the upper flat of the two storeyed building at lot 93A Middle Dam, Bush Lot, without any other companions died from multiple chop wounds about their bodies, killings which horrified many with the savagery and the cruelty of the attack.
Two of the three men namely Rooplall , 24, of Murphy Dam, Rosignol Village, West Bank , and Gocoul Madanpaul, 18, of Bath Settlement, also in West Berbice, had been charged also with the murder of Bath Settlement cash crop farmer Ms. Anita Baichan, between January 3rd and 4th 2016.

Bandits entered the home of Ms. Baichan at Bath Settlement, by removing a grill at the back of the building. They then tortured the woman and her son Moshin Khan, 23, for over two and a half hours; gagged the hapless pair, binding them hand and foot with duct tape and then set their home on fire, before fleeing on a bicycle. Moshin Khan, managed to escape from the burning building with minor injuries but his mother died in the blaze. Abrahim and Madanpau, had been committed to stand trial in the Berbice High Court on this matter late last year.

Scroll to Top
All our printed editions are available online
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.