Police target crime gang
[File photo]
[File photo]

…following series of robberies in Eccles

THE police have arrested two men and are looking at dismantling a crime gang that has been terrorising residents of Eccles, East Bank Demerara. Following a series of break and enter and larceny incidents, coupled with daring daylight armed robberies within the Young Professionals Housing Scheme, Eccles, a top police official said with two suspects in custody it is only a matter of time before they dismantle that gang of criminals.
Within recent times, several homes have been broken into and robbed by burglars and in most cases the victims were not at home when it happened.
These home owners suffered losses and in one case the house was vandalised by a gang of men operating in the area.

Registrar of Deeds Azeena Bacchus, was not spared when two gunmen tied up her security guard and the contractor, who was doing building works on Wednesday at about 1:25pm at the Young Professionals Housing Scheme. She was home alone at the time when the men told her employees to call out to her after which they gained entry into the house and demanded money and valuables.

However, her relatives showed up at her home the same time and the sound of their vehicle on the driveway caused the bandits to flee hurriedly. The police were summoned, but by then the robbers had already made good their escape. She was the victim of a similar robbery last year.

Meanwhile, the home of Attorney-at-Law Paula Nicolson was broken into on Wednesday at about 10am while her daughter was home alone. The men entered the house after prising open a back window. The home of a businessman was also broken into by robbers, who gained entry after hammering a gaping hole in the concrete wall of a one-flat house. They carted off valuables including household appliances. The police said they have received reports of several break and enter and larceny and armed robberies of residents, as such, they have intensified mobile patrols in that area.
In its recent crime statistics update, the Guyana Police Force said it has recorded an 18% decrease in serious crimes at the end of August this year, relative to the same period last year. There was a 10% reduction in reports of murder; a 7% decrease in gun-related robberies; a 17% decrease in armed robberies in which other instruments were used; a 9% decrease in robberies in which no instruments were used; a 19% decrease in robberies with violence; a combined 40% decrease in break and enter and larceny, and burglary; a 20% decrease in rape; and a 38% decrease in larceny from the person.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.