No truth to Boodoo being PPP/C GECOM’s Commissioner

THE naming (in another section of the media) of former Chief Elections Officer (CEO), Gocool Boodoo, as the ruling party’s choice of a replacement Commissioner to the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) has been debunked by a senior party official.Z
“Naming Mr. Boodoo is an attempt to stir up controversy,” the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) top official told the Guyana Chronicle, yesterday.
The opening for a new PPP/C Commissioner was created after the resignation of Dr. Keshav ‘Bud’ Mangal, on Monday.
Dr. Mangal cited ill-health as his reason for leaving. The 77-year-old has been serving as a Commissioner since 1990.
The PPP official told this newspaper that discussions on a replacement are ongoing and a decision is expected to be made soon.
Boodoo’s name has been associated with some controversy, following the end of the 2011 General and Regional Elections. As such, GECOM declined to renew his contract, citing concerns that were raised by the Opposition over a computing mistake that was made in the allocation of seats in the 2011 elections. The mistake, to GECOM and sitting Commissioners’ satisfaction, had been rectified. Also, Boodoo’s late submission of notice of his intent to seek renewal of his contract affected his prospects of being reappointed to the position. He was replaced as CEO by Keith Lowenfield early last year.
Meanwhile, GECOM Chairman, Dr. Steve Surujbally, in an invited comment, stated that he is yet to be informed about who will replace Dr. Mangal.
The remaining PPP/C Commissioners represented at GECOM are Mohamood Shaw and Athmaram Mangar.
The naming of a replacement is not expected to be delayed for too long, given that May 11 has been named as the date for a return to the polls, by President Donald Ramotar.

 

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.