THIRTY-nine-year-old Floyd Archer, a mason of Lot 209 Yarrowkabra, Soesdyke/Linden Highway, was refused bail by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry when he appeared before her yesterday charged with causing death by dangerous driving.

He pleaded not guilty to the offence, particulars of which said that, on July 10, 2013, he drove motor car PPP 9053 in a dangerous manner, causing the death of Stanley Singh.
Police Inspector Michael Grant, prosecuting, said the defendant was driving his motor car at a fast rate west along the One Mile Public Road at about 19:25 hrs on the day in question, and Singh was a pedestrian walking eastward on the northern side of that road when Archer overtook a vehicle that was in front of him and collided with Singh.
Grant said that Singh received injuries when he fell to the road’s surface from the impact of that collision, and was rushed to the Diamond Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Attorney-at-law, Mr. Clyde Forde, representing Archer, made a bail application for his client. He said the deceased was known to be homeless, and had been seen earlier that day purchasing alcohol. He added that the post-mortem report showed that the deceased had alcohol in his system.
The prosecutor successfully objected to bail for Archer, citing the seriousness and prevalence of the offence. He informed the court that the defendant is presently in custody pending completion of investigations into a similar offence, committed on Sunday, February 16, and he is likely to face that charge soon.
The matter was adjourned to March 28.