Accused pig-thief remanded until March 3

CALVIN Francis, of Lot 73 Princes Street, Lodge, Georgetown, was refused bail yesterday, when he appeared before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on a simple larceny charge.
He pleaded not guilty to the offence, particulars of which said, on Monday, February 10, at Princes Street, he stole one pig valued $65,000, property of Jean Bacchus.

 Defendant Calvin Francis
Defendant Calvin Francis

Police Inspector Michael Grant, prosecuting, said, the virtual complainant fed the animal around 13:30 hrs that day but when she returned to check on it around 16:20 hrs, she discovered it was missing.
The prosecutor said Bacchus made a report to the police and an investigation was carried out, which revealed that persons saw the defendant in the pig pen.
Francis declared that he did not steal the pig but saw it lying on the road after being struck down by a truck.
He admitted picking up the pig and someone came up to him, asking him questions to which he responded that the person should mind their own business.
The defendant confessed that he took the pig and sold it at Bourda Market. He further informed the court that he was previously convicted of simple larceny.
The prosecutor, successfully objected to pre-trial freedom for Francis, citing the nature and seriousness of the crime and the case was put off to March 3.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.