
It took this reporter much pushing and jostling to get through as those on the scene appeared not to welcome the media presence and it was the assistance of a female guard, with whom he is acquainted, that got him past those who were waiting impatiently.
OLPF Project Manager, Ms. Margo Boyce told the Guyana Chronicle that, for two weeks now, they were attempting to assist pensioners, pregnant mothers and disabled persons, who are eligible for the offer, to receive their laptops at that location.
She said that move was to avoid such persons having to face the large crowds they anticipated when the actual countrywide distribution begins on October 23.
Boyce said, since last Friday, large numbers of mostly young people started to congregate outside the building in the hope of receiving the laptops, too.
UNRULY MELEE
She said, over time, the gatherings increased until they morphed into the unruly melee that resulted yesterday morning.
Boyce acknowledged that they were forced to beef up security at the main gates and solicit help of police from Alberttown and other stations since 06:00 hrs.
She said, while they were promised that a patrol vehicle with officers would have been dispatched there, none had arrived up to 11:00 hrs.
Boyce disclosed that they had, previously, distributed some 300 slips, which eligible persons could have presented in groups of 100 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday but even that strategy did not forestall the crowd build-up.
She pointed out that, prior to this development, her office had placed advertisements in all the newspapers to sensitise the public that the general disbursement would start on October 23.
But what took place outside her office yesterday will now cause them to ask for a more secure and controlled environment to continue the disbursement of the laptops.
Noting that persons receiving laptops will be required to undergo training to equip them with the skills to use the devices properly, the Project Manager expressed surprise at the overwhelming response to the drive.
She recalled that, in 2011, persons were skeptical of the offer, claiming that the laptops were bugged but, when they arrived, it soon dawned on the officials that, apparently, almost everyone had intention of acquiring one.
According to Boyce, her office will now, through the media, inform the general public on dates when the distribution will continue and the locations at which residents will be directed to uplift the laptops.
This, of course, is to ensure that order is maintained throughout the process, she insisted.