At meeting with affected fishermen…

Top officials assure of action to curb piracy
THE fishermen, who were     beaten, robbed and abandoned at sea last weekend, were, yesterday, challenged to help curb piracy.
At a meeting in the Regional Boardroom at Anna Regina, Essequibo Coast, they were urged to report all acts by pirates and lend support and cooperate with the law enforcement agencies, by providing information since the Government has pledged to continue assisting the affected.
About 50 fishermen had gathered, at the invitation of the Regional Democratic Council (RDC) of Region Two (Pomeroon/Supenaam), to discuss the way forward as it relates to security for fisher folks, in wake of the latest attack.
Leading the discussions were Regional Chairman Parmanand Persaud and the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre (MRCC) team, comprising Harbour Master Volton Skeete; Chief Navigation Officer, Michael Tennant; Coast Guard Commander Orin Porter; Chief Fisheries Officer Denzil Roberts.

The fishermen who suffered in the attack were asked to volunteer and share information with the all the stakeholders so that they can investigate and take the relevant action on incidents on the high seas.
They revealed that, between 2007 and now, there have been some 30 such incidents in Essequibo and said there is need for the establishment of a communication centre where they can make reports to the Police.
They also advocate the resuscitation of several defunct fisheries co-ops, pointing out that the buildings were all privatized. They also want to be represented at regular Coast Guard patrols and meetings with the authorities to discuss their interests.
The group recalled that, several years ago, an area was identified for a Police outpost in Pomeroon River but nothing happened since then and, in the wake of fresh attacks by pirates, they also lobbied for assistance for affected fishermen.

Horror stories
Several of the victims recounted horror stories of the ordeals they endured and emotions were high, as those who incurred tremendous losses of their boats and engines, among other things, broke down in teas as they spoke of what transpired last Thursday.
The fishermen present were accompanied by relatives, some of whom, from East Coast Demerara, are still searching for their missing colleagues, whose boat capsized in turbulent waters of the Pomeroon River on Saturday night during a failed rescue bid.
Having heard their concerns, Harbour Master Skeete explained that the role of the MRCC is to assist in search, rescue and emphasised the necessity for cooperation among all stakeholders.
He said, when they received the news of the piracy attacks on fishing boats in the Pomeroon River last weekend, they did an aerial reconnaissance for more than two hours, in an effort to find and rescue stranded fishermen.
Skeete also saw the requirement for an established communication link in the area, specially to provide support for fishermen in distress.
Chief Navigation Officer Tennant said they are also striving to improve the standards of fishing vessels as they did with passenger types and a system will be implemented where the names and particulars of fishing crews will be recorded and the length in time they plan to spend at sea, so it would be known who are out at sea and when they expect to return to shore.
He also encouraged the fishermen to ensure the safety of their lives by wearing safety jackets.
In response to issues raised, Coast Guard Commander Porter said the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) recently acquired a newly built pontoon which is being equipped specially to patrol on the high seas, as a form of security for fishermen and two other boats will be patrolling the waters twice weekly.
Act responsibly
He urged the fishermen to act responsibly and be quick to report what is happening at sea so the authorities can know and respond in a timely manner.
“The incidence of piracy is everyone’s business, so please cooperate with us and the Police and report the incidents so we can investigate and act,” Porter appealed
Region Chairman Persaud said he is saddened by the incidence pledged to be supportive of  the fisher folks.
Chief Fisheries Officer Roberts, of the Inspectorate Unit of the Ministry of Agriculture, said that the Minister is concerned and , while measures are being taken to address the situation, meetings with fisher folks would take place more regularly.
He said two half-day meetings would be convened at Anna Regina and Charity.
Roberts said, although the Ministry of Agriculture is not responsible for security, it is looking at other areas to improve in relation to the licensing of fishing boats with the introduction of an office at the RDC office.
He, too, advised the fishermen to utilise the Anti-Piracy Fund through the Ministry.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.