MINISTER of Transport and Hydraulics Robeson Benn says commuters on the Parika to Bartica speedboat route should not pay fares higher than $2,000 per person, stressing that there has been no authorisation given for any increase. Speaking at a press conference on Wednesday, Benn said, “We disagreed and we said that we had a thorough review of the matter and the Maritime Administration Department is finalising their report on the issue, and we will get back to the boat owners by weekend or next week. Our position is that the fare should remain at $2,000 until further notice.”
The minister said that he has had complaints about this matter. “One, that the fares have been tremendously increased, and two, that they are demanding $500 to $1,000 for a piece of luggage. So we are looking at it,” he said.
“What I would say to the operators and the association is that there are also flights going to Bartica for a fare of $5,000 by aircraft operators and they may endanger their business if they raise the fares on the river at levels which make it impractical for people to use their service when they have competitive services being provided by other operators,” he said.
He said the air service has been established over the last month. “We have approved it and it will now be in direct competition with the boat operators with $2,500, then you still have to take a minibus or a taxi to Georgetown. So it might be better for me just to go and take a plane, fly to Ogle and pay [a taxi] into Georgetown to do my business rather to run the risk of the river,” he said. Benn said there are two daily flights to Bartica.
“They claim of course that fuel prices are high and some other things, but there is a gradual reduction in international fuel prices which we should see coming through on the next fuel shipments. But it is true that fuel prices are still high,” he said.
He however noted that the Guyoil prices are the standard, which is being kept low by interventions from the government.
He said government is also completing the road from Four Miles Bartica to the airstrip and this should be done in another two months. Drainage structures are also being installed on the road with a view to having it last longer.
Turning to the minibuses and their continued demand for higher fares, the minister said that a structured review of the operations of minibuses will come. He said that the public is being taken advantage of by some unscrupulous operators.
Benn reiterates call for Bartica passengers to reject boat fare increases
SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp