—Norton promises voters different experience from 2015-2020
–Mohamed announces Sarabo-Haley as PM candidate hours before elections
–as members advise against splitting votes; tells supporters not to be swayed by WINA PARTNERSHIP for National Unity (APNU)’s presidential candidate, Aubrey Norton made a final attempt to entice voters, claiming that his party has learnt from its mistakes in office from 2015-2020.
Norton mounted the stage at Cuffy Square, Georgetown on Saturday evening, with banners, lights, and bursts of music, a venue where the Party has a long backdrop for its final rallies.
While promising to serve the people, Norton, in the last lap of the campaign season, finally admitted that APNU, while in office with its former partner, the Alliance For Change (AFC), made “mistakes”, but stopped short of a direct apology. He also made no mention of the attempts in 2020 to rig the elections.
Norton is of the view that the former APNU+AFC administration’s missteps pale in comparison to the performance of the incumbent PPP/C, which has reversed 300 taxes and fees instituted by the coalition government, among other critical initiatives.
As he made an appeal to citizens, Norton pleaded with the electorate that his party deserves the votes of Guyanese because they listened, crafted plans for the nation, and has a “competent” team.
The rally was also filled with entertainment, including a performance from local performer Kwasi Ace, who also made recent appearances at two rallies hosted by US-sanctioned businessman Azruddin Mohamed’s political outfit, We Invest in Nationhood (WIN).
The opposition outlined a series of measures to enhance the quality of life for citizens, including improving social services, a change in how they do public works, and broader investments in sectors like education and health, along with industries such as renewable energy and large-scale manufacturing.
Speaking further on their previous stint in office, Norton acknowledged concerns that ministers, under the coalition’s 2015–2020 administration, were not always available to the people they served. He claimed that this would change if his party returns to office.
Norton said: “I’ve heard the complaint that between 2015 and 2020, many of our ministers weren’t accessible. I’m saying to you now that this new group will make themselves accessible to you, and if by chance they become inaccessible, they will have to find a new job.”

The Party’s promises are being weighed against memories of its 2015–2020 term in office, when it faced criticism for falling short on similar commitments that Norton made at the rally.
‘DON’T SPLIT THE VOTES’
APNU’s prime ministerial candidate, Juretha Fernandes took to the podium and used the opportunity to urge citizens not to “split your votes”.
“We are not splitting no vote, because no split vote could get the PPP out of office,” she said.
Her fellow candidates, including Terrence Campbell and David Hinds echoed similar sentiments, cautioning supporters about Mohamed’s self-serving interest and urging them not to split their votes.
These candidates delivered scathing attacks against the US-sanctioned businessman’s political outfit.
While the APNU, earlier on in this year, was cautious of openly criticising the sanctioned businessman, it has warned in recent times against being swayed by what was described as a party designed to mislead voters.
Aside from the series of pledges, the coalition’s stance by its speakers saw them recalling personal experiences, and sharing memories of a childhood marked by challenges.