THE Senegalese Football Federation (FSF) says it has suspended domestic football until further notice because of deadly protests in the West African nation sparked by the prosecution of an opposition leader.
The move comes amid tensions in Senegal following last week’s sentencing of Ousmane Sonko to two years in prison.
Police said the death toll since Thursday had risen to 16, making the protests among the deadliest in recent decades. Two members of the security forces were among those killed, according to the presidency.
“All football competitions are suspended until further notice throughout the national territory,” the FSF said in a statement, adding that the decision was the result of a government order.
Reigning African champions the Teranga Lions, who have already qualified for next year’s Africa Cup of Nations in the Ivory Coast, are unaffected by this as they are away to Group L bottom side Benin on 17 June in their qualifying fixture.
With five rounds of matches remaining in the Senegalese top tier, table toppers AS Académie Génération Foot are four points ahead of second place Diambars.
Other affected competitions include men’s, women’s and youth FA Cup fixtures, with knock out stages initially scheduled for 21 to 25 June.
Stars call for peace
The violent situation in Senegal is in stark contrast to the February 2022 celebration when hundreds of thousands of ecstatic fans greeted the football team’s return to the capital Dakar after winning the Africa Cup of Nations.
National team captain Kalidou Koulibaly and talisman Sadio Mane are among the country’s top footballers who have taken to social media to appeal for peace.
“Over the past two years we have been experiencing episodes of unprecedented violence that have caused many victims,” Chelsea defender Koulibaly posted on Instagram, where he has 2.6 million followers.(BBC Sport)