President, Gov’t did not hire US lobby firm – MOTP says- President is Guyanese

THE Ministry of the Presidency has condemned statements published in the media which suggest that the Government of Guyana, and, by extension, President David Granger, has hired United States lobby firm, JJ&B, LLC.

The claims have been circulated in the media primarily through the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) Opposition which first claimed that public funds had been used to pay for same.

However, by way of a release on Friday, the Ministry of the Presidency (MOTP) had reason to make it clear: “The Government of Guyana has not hired JJ&B, LLC and has no contractual arrangement or affiliation with the said firm. No Government funds were used to hire the firm.”

Furthermore, the MOTP noted the erroneous accusations that President David Granger is a dual citizen.

“President Granger was not involved in the hiring of the said lobby firm. Further, the Ministry of the Presidency wishes to make pellucid that the President is not a citizen of the United States of America or any other foreign country as is being suggested by way of documents submitted to the United States Department of Justice, and published in the press. He is Guyanese,” the MOTP said frankly.

The ministry has now urged citizens to be responsible when making public statements and seek out confirmation on matters rather than disseminating “spurious claims”.

On Thursday, Director-General of the Ministry of the Presidency, Joseph Harmon, had also clarified that the lobby firm, which was hired by the APNU+AFC political party, was not contracted with taxpayers’ money.

He also spoke to the reason behind the hiring of the firm as a means to set the record straight on accusations levelled by the Opposition to the diplomatic community.

“We believe as a government, it was our duty, our responsibility to ensure that our narrative, the facts as they occurred, should be placed there [on the international stage]. We felt it was necessary to have a company that has that access to be able to put out our side,” he said.

The Director-General also informed the public that the dossier circulating on social media with regards to the hiring is no secret as it was shared with CARICOM leaders during a visit to Guyana.

“We had shared that dossier to the heads of CARICOM while they were here. The Prime Ministers of CARICOM [countries] were given copies of that dossier. It was circulated to other places, but it is now getting traction because of where it is coming from,” he said.

“I believe that, as a country, as a government, we have a right to ensure that the developments which have taken place in this country, that they ought not to be derailed by a narrative which goes out there that is contrary to the facts of what is happening here in Guyana.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.