THIS week NAREI in Focus will inform readers about the Crop Development and Support Services (CDSS) Department. This department is better known as Extension Services. It focuses on agricultural expansion, diversification and business orientation to agriculture and farming in Guyana.
This department was created to transfer new farming technologies to farmers, which benefit the OTHER CROPS sector; and produce quality orchard seedlings for sale to the farming communities in Guyana.
Our Extension personnel, who are present in every Region across Guyana, are the direct link between farmers and the Institute. They inform Researchers about challenges facing our farmers. In the absence of immediately available solutions, the Researchers conduct research programmes both at research stations and on-farm with farmers.
To address diversification, CDSS provides technical assistance in terms of farm planning, pest and disease control as well as information about the value chain of the crop to complement the grants and assistance that are provided by the Agriculture Sector Development Unit.
This Department is divided into four sections:
1. Coastal Extension Services
2. Hinterland Extension Services
What are some of the services offered?
* Farmers Field School
* Farmers Training
* Farm visit
* Farmers Clinics
* Rendering technical advice to Schools, and other institutions
* Budding and Grafting of orchard crop
* Farm data collection.
According to Dr. Oudho Homenauth, Chief Executive Officer of NAREI, “We continue to ensure that these services are available to all farmers. We recognise that there are limitations. However, the staff are continuously being exposed to training- both theoretical and practical- to enhance their capabilities.”
What are some of field projects?
1. DEMO plots across Guyana.
2. Production of citrus with chicken manure.
3. Plastic mulching on white sand.
4. Bora production using inoculum.
How can this department help you?
* You can get prompt and reliable technical advice on crop production.
* On farm soil and water sampling free of cost.
* Advice and guidance on crop loss due to adverse climate condition.
* On farm diagnostic of pest and diseases, with immediate recommendation.
* Issuing of Filter press permits.