Removal of encumbrances will continue despite vendors protest

– City Hall PRO

THE removal of itinerant vendors from Stabroek Market Square, in Georgetown, in the aftermath of the grenade explosion that killed one man and injured 19 others, sparked protest, Thursday, over the demolition of their makeshift stalls.

Amid calls for justice and explanations for the action, the irate sellers staged picketing demonstrations in front of the Ministries of Home Affairs and Human Services and Social Security, as well as City Hall.
In an invited comment on the plight of those affected, Mayor and City Council (M&CC) Public Relations Officer, Mr. Royston King, said their removal is in an effort to sanitize sections of the capital.
“This entails the removal of encumbrances on the pavements and parapets in certain sections of the city, including Stabroek Car Park and parts of America, Hinck, Robb and Regent Streets,” he informed.
According to King, the exercise began a week ago, with the clearing of seasonal vendors who were allowed to operate until January 5 and who were, previously, advised that they would have been moved after that date.
“Under the by-law, the City Engineer has the authority to remove all encumbrances and this is exactly what we are doing,” he said, adding: “And what happened yesterday confirmed the Council’s fears.”
About the allegation, by many of the protesters, that they paid fees to the municipality, King explained that seasonal vendors in designated areas were required to pay a cleansing fee to the Council for clearing their garbage.
“Most of them paid but the monies were not rent and the payment did not make their occupation of the parapets and pavements legitimate,” he maintained.
King reaffirmed that the M&CC will continue removing encumbrances from the targeted locations and the clearing operations would proceed into evening to ensure that the makeshift stalls are removed.
No vending
“I have been advised, by the (City) Constabulary that no vending will be permitted in those areas within the immediate periphery of the Stabroek Market Car Park and the designated areas, and the Constabulary will be providing enforcement and protection for the City Engineer’s staff who are dismantling the stalls,” the PRO stated.
Addressing concerns over alternative accommodation, King said, under the by-law, the M&CC does not have any obligation to provide a place for itinerant vendors to sell, as there are, already, existing facilities at the five municipal markets.
“It is not Council’s responsibility to arrange any such accommodation for everyone who wants to sell and I think this needs to be made clear. If vendors are removed, it is not the Council’s responsibility,” he insisted.
King said another such exercise will be conducted on Tuesday in North and South Cummingsburg, to clear impendiments which pose risks to health and security.
Meanwhile, several of the displaced claimed they were not notified of the demolition and pondered how they would earn to support their families.
One of them, Carol Charles said she has been selling fruits in front of Stabroek Market for 16 years and does not have any alternative way of earning a livelihood.
“They did not give us a chance to find a place. I don’t see why we can’t remain here. We are not bombers. We did not break the law,” she contended.
Another, Sharon Josiah, who was in the protesting group outside City Hall, said she arrived Thursday morning to find her stall demolished.
“I have been here for ten years and we were not given any warning about this and, if we can’t sell here, what are we supposed to do to feed our families?” she asked.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.