![]() Oliver Hinckson |
|
THE advocating terrorism charge against ex-Guyana Defence Force (GDF) Lieutenant Oliver Hinckson was yesterday dismissed by Acting Chief Magistrate Melissa Robertson.
The accused was discharged after the Court ruled that the Prosecution had not produced sufficient evidence to establish a prima facie case against him.
It had been alleged that the 65-year-old Army veteran of Lot 167 Meadow Brook Gardens, Georgetown,conspired to commit a terrorist act on January 31, 2008.
Magistrate Robertson said the Prosecution had presented four witnesses, two of whom did not complete their testimony and the State failed to reach the threshold of proving a case at that level.
Hinckson is still facing three other charges, of sedition and unlawful possession of a firearm and ammunition.
Those cases have been put off for report on September 3.
Particulars of the offence, of which Hinckson was freed, said he, on January 31, 2008, advocated terrorism in a speech to the public and news media, the purpose of which was to create hatred and contempt and promote public disorder.
Hinckson was also charged together with now dead James Gibson, another ex-soldier, with illegal possession of a gun and ammunition.
They allegedly, on June 6, 2006, in an Aubrey Barker Street, South Ruimveldt house, also in the city, had a .380 pistol, 12 matching rounds and twenty-six 12-gauge shotgun cartridges without licences for them.