– 2,000 residents to benefit
Minister of Health, Dr. Frank Anthony, on Saturday, commissioned a state-of-the-art health centre at Onderneeming Sand Pit in Region Two (Pomeroon-Supenaam).
The health facility opened its doors to residents last week and already 180 children have been registered to access primary health care services. Speaking at a simple ribbon-cutting ceremony, Dr. Anthony said the facility was opened with the intention of delivering care to the people living within the environs of the Onderneeming Sandpit area. He said that residents have suffered for
far too long in accessing primary health care services. “We have been working to develop health care and to make it more responsive by bringing it to the people and we see that the doors of this facility have been opened one week now and already 180 children are registered to access the services,” Dr. Anthony said.
He assured that a doctor will be posted at the facility soon and residents can expect tremendous changes, noting that children in the community will now be able to receive their necessary vaccines without travelling long distances.
The health centre will greatly assist in the fight against chronic and non- communicable diseases by treating patients or making referrals. Regional Health Officer, Dr. Ranjeev Singh, said approximately 2,000 residents will access primary health care services within the community.
Additionally, Medical Superintendent (ag), Dr. Sheneer Reid, said that the opening of the health facility will ease the burden at the Suddie Public Hospital. Dr. Reid promised that doctors, nurses, and a mid-wife would be sent to the centre regularly to offer essential services.