-Border screening to commence from Monday
THE national curfew that mandates citizens to be within their yard spaces from 18:00hrs to 06:00 hours, now supersedes the previously-set curfew by the Region Ten Regional Health Emergency Committee (RHEC), which would have allowed residents to be in public up to 20:00 hours. This is according to Mayor of Linden, Waneka Arrindell, who said that it is important to bring clarity to the issue, since breaking the national curfew can result in consequences. She urged residents to take time and read the document provided by the Ministry of Public Health, which gives detailed stipulations on how citizens and businesses should proceed, in terms of social distancing, during this time.
Arrindell stressed that the Region Ten ranks will continue to play their role in monitoring residents’ and businesses’ response to the national curfew, to ensure it is in no way compromised at a regional level.
Region Ten Commander, Hugh Winter, said that, as of Sunday, there were no detainees, even from before the national curfew was set and ranks were monitoring the regional curfew.
“All residents of Linden and Region Ten, I encourage you to read this document and abide by the rules set therein. We encourage you to continue to wash your hands, wear masks and to maintain social distancing, protect your family and friends and stay at home,” Arrindell said.
Meanwhile to better avoid the importation of COVID-19 into the region, the RHEC, through its health and welfare sub-committee, will commence screening of all persons travelling into the region from Monday. Regional Health Officer, Dr. Pansy Armstrong, confirmed to this publication that the tools to commence screening were already in the region and the screening will be conducted by health workers at the Amelia’s Ward Police Outpost and at 58 Miles Police Outpost. Mayor Arrindell had previously related that all persons attempting to enter the township after the curfew will be detained.
The Linden Mayor and Town Council continues to collaborate with the Linden Fire Station to sanitize the market arena and central Mackenzie. This was continued on Sunday evening, with sections of the market and the Georgetown bus park being sanitized with water, bleach and detergent. The exercise is expected to move to the Wismar shore in a few days.
Residents of Linden were also reminded that a “lock down”, as was planned by the Linden Business Network, will not take effect from Monday. It was suggested by executive members that borders should be closed and incoming traffic should be escorted out of the township and that a list of essential businesses should be opened for only four hours: 12:00 hours to 16:00 hours. Arrindell said the stipulations/suggestions put forth by the business group were just proposals and discussions were still ongoing on same.