By Marinella Glasgow
THE NON- ALIGNED MONUMENT
THE Non- Aligned Monument is situated on the corner of Republic Avenue between Church Street and North Road. The monument commemorates the 1972 Conference of Foreign Ministers of Non- Aligned countries when it was held in August. The monument was unveiled by His Excellency Mr. Arthur Chung, the first president of Guyana. The founders of the Non- Aligned Monument were President Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt, President Kwame Nkrumah of Ghana, President Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru of India and President Josip Broz Tito of Yugoslavia. They initiated the conference of Afro- Asian countries.
There are busts sculpted to the likeness of the founders of the Non-Aligned Movement, three of bronze and one of plastic. They were sculpted in the countries from which the founder-leaders originated. They were mounted on a concrete base which was made of quartz stone from the Mazaruni district, Region Seven. Four jasper rocks from the Orinduik waterfall adorn the front of the monument in a pool decorated with colorful stones from the riverbeds of Guyana.
RED HOUSE (KAMANA COURT)
This building is situated in High Street, Kingston between Younge and Barrack Streets. It was built of timber including (pitch pine) and is covered with red wallaba shingles. It is not certain if the verandah and the ground floor were part of the original building. The Colony of British Guiana acquired the Red House in 1925. Sir Eustace Woolford, a Speaker of the Legislature, was one of the early owners of the building. During 1925 to 1953, numerous Colonial Secretaries resided there. Dr. Cheddi Jagan lived there during 1961-1964 while serving as Premier of British Guiana. Subsequently, from 1965 to the early 1990’s the Red House was used as a government office such as the Public Service Ministry. The house was vacant until 1999 when it became the Cheddi Jagan Research Centre. It was established in honor of the first premier of British Guiana and later the President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana.