HARVESTING of the second sugar crop is set to commence at the beginning of July, provided there is enough sunshine for the next two weeks.
Mr Komal Chand, President of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU), disclosed the foregoing to the Chronicle Monday. He said factory workers have begun their maintenance works so as to get their factories up and running, and that things may flow smoothly when harvesting begins.
“So far,” he said, “GuySuCo has not released their target as yet, so we are still awaiting the schedule from the (Guyana) Sugar Corporation.”
The 2015 first crop target was 83,000 tonnes.