Armed bandits rob Chinese restaurant of $$$M

– Guyana records first major heist for 2014

GUYANA’S first major heist for 2014 occurred on Sunday night about 23 :00 hrs when four bandits struck a Chinese restaurant located at the junction where the East Bank Demerara Public Road meets the Linden Highway, and carted off GY$3M and US$5,000, police said.Calling the heist the largest thus far for an armed robbery during this year, Deputy Police Commissioner Seelall Persaud said investigators were told that three of the bandits entered the restaurant at the front, where the male proprietor was seated, and the other one came in from the back of the yard and attacked 29-year-old female Ihai Jaing and her son.
He said one of the bandits ran behind Jaing as she ran inside the building, and she pointed to a canister with the cash. It is unclear whether a vehicle was nearby, but from all accounts the bandits were seen on foot.
Figures released by the Guyana Police Force (GPF) show there was a seven percent increase in crime for 2013, with 1,132 reports having been made last year, compared to 1,058 in 2012. The statistics also show that during 2013, there was a 14 percent increase in the number of armed robberies involving the use of firearms; and a four percent decrease in armed robberies in which instruments other than firearms were used by the perpetrators.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.