Brands2Go owner gets 14 months for assaulting daughter
Devanand Singh
Devanand Singh

MAGISTRATE Rhondel Weever on Thursday sentenced Devanand Singh, the owner of Brands2Go, to 14 months imprisonment for brutally assaulting his adult daughter and threatening her with a gun.

“No longer should women be treated as if they are a ball to be tossed around,” Magistrate Weever said in her sentencing remarks.

Last month, Singh who resides in Kitty, Georgetown, was found guilty of assaulting the 25-year-old woman on March 28, 2023, so as to cause her actual bodily harm.

He was also found guilty of using threatening language to the victim.

Magistrate Weever sentenced Singh to 14 months in jail for the assault charge and four months on the threatening charge.

However, the sentences will run concurrently, and Singh will serve only 14 months.

During Thursday’s hearing, Singh’s probation report was read in court by a social worker.

The court heard that Singh’s father was an alcoholic who verbally and physically abused her.

The businessman’s attorney Nigel Hughes told court that his client is remorseful and had offered his daughter compensation to the tune of $2 million, but she rejected it.

Magistrate Weever in her sentencing remarks, stressed that the defendant’s actions towards his daughter were not impulsive since he has a history of abusing her.

She described his actions as “reprehensible” and “distasteful.”

Last year, Senior Magistrate Leron Daly had granted a lifetime protection order against Singh to stay 1,000 feet from his daughter.

The investigation was launched following the circulation of a video on social media where the businessman was seen assaulting his daughter at his Kitty business place. He also allegedly threatened to shoot her.

The young lady during a video interview which was aired on Facebook, revealed that her father had been brutalising her for years. Her stepmother and other siblings who reside with him were also abused, she had claimed.

The young woman related that she was forced to come forward because the latest beating was captured on CCTV cameras inside the store and she was able to secure a copy.

Further, after the beating, she claimed that she was locked inside her home for two days. She was later able to call the 914 hotline to report the incident and was later relocated to a safe place.

She added that threats were made to her life and she was living in fear.

As a result of the video, the police said ranks visited the businessman’s home and seized his licensed 9mm pistol and a shotgun, as well as matching ammunition

Scroll to Top
All our printed editions are available online
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.