… Initial event damped by COVID-19 Task Force
WHAT should have been held today, the South American 10K, organised by the Athletics Association of Guyana (AAG), will now be held next Sunday December 13.
President of AAG, Aubrey Hutson, told Chronicle Sport that all systems will be in place for the staging of the road race next Sunday, after approval was not granted in time by the Ministry of Health and Guyana’s National COVID-19 Task Force.
This year’s South American 10K will only feature local athletes, since international travel regulations, as per COVID-19 protocols, would’ve prevented the usual plethora of overseas athletes travelling to Guyana to compete.
Hutson said the shifting of the dates will not be an issue for AAG since it understands that every requirement must be met to safeguard the health of athletes and officials.
The AAG, with the hosting of its recent Cross Country races in Linden and Berbice, became the first sport association to stage an event after the Government of Guyana lifted the ban on non-contact sports in November.
Meanwhile, it was noted that approximately 52 athletes have so far registered for the event, which will see the winner pocketing $150 000.
Last year, Kenyan runners Alex Ekesa and Veronica Jepkosgei were able to march through a large field of local and several international athletes to win the male and female divisions of the Guyana leg in the South American 10K Road Race. Ekesa clocked 32 minutes and 43 seconds to finish ahead of Guyana’s Winston Missigher, who took 32 minutes and 57 seconds.
Trinidadians Matthew Hagley and Shirvan Baboolal finished third and fourth respectively, while Junior Ashton of St Vincent and the Grenadines rounded off the top five.
However, in the absence of the aforementioned overseas athletes, Missigher will come face-to-face with his usual rivals Cleveland Forde and Cleveland Thomas. Forde had the better of Missigher in the 2018 South American 10K while Thomas was third.