Four habeas corpus applications before court : CJ grants Nisi Order directing Raymond Lammy be released

ACTING Chief Justice, Mr. Ian Chang last week Friday has granted a Nisi Order, directing the Police Commissioner to release detainee Raymond Lammy from police custody. According to the Chief Justice, the Order will be carried out unless cause is shown why it should not be made absolute.
Affidavits supporting three other habeas corpus applications, where the applicants were applying to the court for leave to issue writs of Habeas Corpus, directing the Commissioner of  Police to show cause why the applicants should not be released immediately, came up for hearing before the Chief Justice last Thursday.
Those applicants who are also seeking Nisi Orders on the grounds that their detention is unlawful are  Paul Daby, Jr., gold miner; Jerome Allicock, miner and Paul Rodrigues of Dadanawa Street, Section K. Campellville, Georgetown.
In relation to Lammy, the applicant, his reputed spouse, Natasha Hilllaire had said in her affidavit in support of the motion that on Wednesday 31st of October, 2012, at approximately 14:00hrs, Raymond Lammy was at 123 Laluni Street, Queenstown, Georgetown, Demerara, when he was arrested by members of the Guyana Police Force who were investigating the shooting of Martin Osborne.
She said that Lammy was thereafter escorted to the Alberttown Police Station and was questioned by several police officers, including Marlon Chapman.  
According to her, Lammy immediately denied any knowledge and involvement of the matter; nonetheless, he remained in police custody and was escorted to the Grove-Diamond Police Station lockups where he remains in custody.
The Acting Chief Justice had ordered that Rule nisi of Habeas Corpus Ad Subjiciendum, directed to the Commissioner of Police to release forthwith the body of Raymond Lammy from police custody, unless cause is shown why the said Order of Rule nisi should not be made absolute.
Mechelle Daby, the applicant for Paul Daby Jr. said that her husband is a gold miner with operations in Potaro. She said that members of the Guyana Police Force contacted him and advised him that he was required to attend the Alberttown Police Station for questioning regarding investigations into the death of Marlon Osbourne.
He immediately attended the said Alberttown Police Station with his Attorney-at- Law, Mr. Mark Waldron.
He was questioned and denied any and all knowledge and or involvement in the matter; nonetheless he remains in police custody at the said Alberttown Police Station.
In relation to Jerome Allicock, his applicant, Rosanna Sookoo, said that on Thursday, November 1, 2012,   he was taken into custody by ranks of the Guyana Police Force from the Providence Police Station, at approximately 14:30hrs.
She said in her affidavit in support of the motion that at the present time, Allicock is being detained at the Providence Police Station and is not able to take proceedings on his own behalf.
Petronela Rodrigues, the applicant on behalf of Paul Rodrigues, said in her affidavit that on Wednesday, November 1, 2012, at approximately midday, Paul Rodrigues was arrested by members of the Guyana   Police Force who were conducting investigations into the death of Marlon Osbourne.
She said in her affidavit that he was escorted to the Alberttown Police Station and was questioned by several police officers, including Inspectors.
She said that despite his denial in relation to the questions, he remained in police custody and was escorted to the Grove-Diamond Police Station lock-ups where he remains in custody.
Apart from Lammy, the other matters are to be determined.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.