Fire strikes again!

–two perish, several rendered homeless
TWO persons perished and four others were rendered homeless yesterday when an early morning fire consumed two dwelling houses at Lot 38 Public Road in suburban Kitty.
Police disclosed that the fire of unknown origin occurred at about 00:45 hrs on Saturday, December 24, 2011, and resulted in the death of pensioner Cyril Robinson, 90, and Alfred Stephens, 17, a relative.
Police investigations reveal that neighbours observed the building on fire and raised an alarm.
Fire Service personnel responded, and subsequently extinguished the blaze, which had by then consumed the building and a neighbouring house.
The charred remains of Robinson and Stephens were later found among the debris.
A neighbour, Camille Richards, yesterday told the Guyana Chronicle that she was in her bed when she heard a loud explosion at around 01:30hrs, and upon investigating where the sound came from, saw the neighbour’s house on fire and immediately summoned the Guyana Fire Service (GFS).
Richards said when the fire started threatening neighbouring houses, she began packing her things to move out.
She distinctly remembers hearing screams for help, and later learnt that two persons, a bedridden Cyril Robinson and a friend of the man’s nephew Alfred Stephens, who was trapped in a bedroom in the upper flat of the wooden house, had been burnt to death.
Richards said that Robinson resided in the bottom flat of the two-storey house, and his nephew escaped from the burning building by jumping through a window.
In the other house, a middle-aged woman called “Auntie Joy” and two others escaped the inferno, but lost all their worldly possessions.
At the scene yesterday, employees of the Guyana Power and Light (GPL) were trying to deal with the power line that was still hanging.
Meanwhile, Chief Fire Officer Marlon Gentle yesterday said that the GFS was looking for Robinson’s nephew so as to get a statement from him. They learnt that he’s fled the scene and has not been seen since.
Gentle added that the GFS has however learnt that the nephew visited the hospital for treatment for injuries he received when he jumped from the upper flat of the building.  The fire is reported to have started in the upper flat of the building.
Gentle stated that there is no electricity to that building, since the meter was taken away sometime ago, and neighbours reportedly heard two loud explosions then saw the fire.
At this time, he cautioned all to be extra careful during the festive season, not to overload the electrical systems in their homes, and to observe all fire safety regulations in the prevention of fires, since three fires countrywide have claimed the lives of three persons and left 12 persons homeless.
Police also reported that investigations are ongoing into a fire of unknown origin that occurred at about 01:00h yesterday at No. 78 Village, Corriverton. Humadat Phurkokatam, 42, a labourer, perished in that blaze.
Investigations revealed that neighbours observed fire coming from the building occupied by Phurkokatam, who lived alone, and raised an alarm. Fire Service personnel from Corriverton responded and extinguished the blaze. Afterwards, the charred remains of the victim were found.
In a separate fire at Lot 8 Reliance, East Canje, Berbice on Friday, a dozen persons were left homeless after a fire of unknown origin consumed a two-storey dwelling house, at about 14:20 hrs, while the occupants were preparing for Christmas.
The house next door was saved, being only slightly scorched, as the Guyana Fire Service fireman attended to the conflagration. The building destroyed was occupied by two sets of families.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.