$431M four-door sluice at D’ Edward nears completion

0
393
The completed main structure of the 4-door sluice at D’ Edward, West Coast Berbice

THE four-door sluice, which is expected to be a game-changer for drainage of agricultural and residential lands at D’ Edward, West Coast Berbice (WCB), is 80 per cent complete.
The sluice will provide drainage to over 16,000 acres of low-lying agricultural and residential lands between the Berbice and Abary Rivers. This will provide farmers with a sense of security on the outcome of their crop cultivation and livestock rearing in an area historically prone to flooding during inclement weather.

The sluice is located a few hundred feet west of the Berbice River Bridge and is being constructed by Courtney Benn Construction Services Limited. E&A Consultants Incorporated is supervising the works.

Work on the sluice, which will be managed by the Mahaica-Mahaicony-Abary Agricultural Development Authority (MMA/ADA), commenced in late 2017. This followed the release of the funds by the government through the Ministry of Agriculture to relieve the effects of inundation on the WCB and open up additional lands in the area for agriculture. Site foreman attached to the CBCSL, Rishie Humphrey, told the DPI that the 80 per cent that has been completed comprises the main structure.  He described the remaining 20 per cent as “fineries” such as installation of the four doors, sea defence revetments, inlet and outlet channels and erosion protection features. Humphrey said that the CBCSL is working every day to ensure the sluice is completed and handed over to the MMA/ADA by year-end. (DPI)