Smooth roll out of education cash grants recorded across the country
Distribution of the ‘Because We Care’ cash grant at Port Kaituma Secondary School (MoE photo)
Distribution of the ‘Because We Care’ cash grant at Port Kaituma Secondary School (MoE photo)

THE distribution of the “Because We Care” cash grant to parents of school-aged children commenced on Monday and was said to be a smooth process.

This is according to the Ministry of Education, which began the roll out at various schools in various regions across the country following last week’s announcement.

Just last week, Education Minister, Priya Manickchand announced that this year, the sum is $40,000 per child, which is a significant increase from the amount distributed last year as part of the programme.

Distribution of the ‘Because We Care’ cash grant at the New Amsterdam Secondary School (MoE Photo)

Minister Manickchand reported that the distribution process was smooth all over, and reiterated that as long as the child’s name is on the school’s register and the child is attending school, once parents show up with their identification card, they will receive the grant.

Additionally, in this post, she said that auditors were present as part of the process. The Education Ministry also shared that schools in various regions carried out the distribution from nursery to secondary schools.

During the announcement last week, the Education Minister said that over 214,000 children are eligible this year to receive the grant, noting that children attending both public and private institutions are eligible for the grant.

Distribution of the ‘Because We Care’ cash grant at the Amelia’s Ward Primary School (MoE Photo)

This distribution cycle is expected to stretch from June 5 to June 9 at schools across the country.

Since returning to office in 2020, The People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) brought the “Because We Care” cash grant back to assist parents and families with school-aged children. In its manifesto, the PPP/C promised that by 2025, each child will receive some $50,000.

The cash grant programme which was started in 2014 under the previous PPP/C administration, but discontinued in 2015 by the A Partnership for National Unity + Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) when they assumed office.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.