Over 4,600 jobs restored across ‘sugar belt’ from 2020-2023

–industry projected to grow 66.1 per cent this year
–$6B set aside in Budget 2024 for GuySuCo to improve production, operational efficiency

MAKING good on its commitment to restore life to Guyana’s sugar industry which was battered by the former APNU+AFC government, the PPP/C administration, since its election to office in 2020, has restored over 4,600 jobs within the industry.

“Since September 2020 we invested in the rehabilitation and modernisation of sugar factories and canefields, and over 4,600 workers were rehired, bringing total employment to over 8,100 employees across the industry,” Senior Minister in the Office of the President with Responsibility for Finance, Dr. Ashni Singh said during his presentation of the milestone 2024 budget to the National Assembly, on Monday.

Prior to its election to office, the government promised to revive the sugar industry and re-energise local communities devastated by the unconscionable decision by the APNU+AFC to decommission and close several grinding estates.

In 2017, the coalition government had announced the closure of several sugar estates across the country, leaving thousands of persons without jobs or sources of income. The move saw four sugar estates being closed and over 7,000 sugar workers losing their jobs.

“In keeping with our manifesto commitments, in just under three years the government reopened the Rose Hall Estate which recommenced operations in September 2023.
“In an effort to further boost the industry through retooling and mechanisation, we achieved the conversion of 2,740 hectares of land for mechanised harvesting at Rose Hall, Albion and Blairmont estates,” Dr. Singh said.

He said, in 2023, the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo) expanded its storage capacity to 3,500 tonnes at the ISO-certified Blairmont Packaging Plant in anticipation of the commencement of production of new lines of packaged sugar, including sugar sticks, which are slated to target premium markets.

Also, works commenced on the construction of the new Albion Packaging Plant. Further, to support accelerated mechanisation of cultivation and harvesting, $997 million has been invested in the procurement of equipment which augments the growing share of private sector involvement in this activity.

Owing to critical investments, the sugar industry is estimated to have grown by 28 per cent in 2023. GuySuCo produced 60,204 tonnes in 2023, compared with 47,049 tonnes in 2022.
In addition to the reopening of the Rose Hall Estate, this expansion is the result of improved yields and weather conditions, particularly in the first half of last year.

This year, the industry is projected to accelerate its recovery with strong growth of 66.1 per cent aided by GuySuCo’s continued focus on mechanisation and conversion efforts, as well as promoting value-added production.

“Looking forward, it is expected that the conversion of lands for mechanised harvesting will continue in 2024, targeting an additional 7,100 hectares.

“Additionally, works will be completed on the Albion and Blairmont Packaging Plants, the installation of a sugar dryer at the Blairmont Estate, and the rehabilitation of heavy- and light- duty revetments across the industry to strengthen the drainage system to allow the timely delivery of harvested canes to the factories. These investments are expected to improve production and productivity,” Dr. Singh said.

The government has set aside $6 billion in Budget 2024 for GuySuCo to improve further production and operational efficiency of the sugar industry.

“Over 2024 and 2025, the sector is expected to benefit from the conversion of over 5,000 hectares of land for mechanical harvesting and loading. Given these interventions, the sector is expected to produce 100,000 metric tonnes of sugar in 2024,” Dr. Singh said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.