$100,000 station bail for driver in Nelson Mandela Avenue fatal accident
DEAD: Odessia Sam
DEAD: Odessia Sam

THE 41-year-old female driver who was involved in the recent fatal accident at Nelson Mandela Avenue, Georgetown, which claimed the life of Odessia Sam was on Thursday released on $100,000 station bail, as the investigation is still ongoing.

This is according to a police statement which disclosed that the second victim, Wendel Oudkerk, is still in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC).

The release said the accident occurred on Wednesday around 15:20hrs between a Mercedes Benz Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV) vehicle #PSS 7007 and a motorcycle #CH 1099.

Oudkerk was the rider of the motorcycle, while Sam, a 42-year-old woman from Middle Road, La Penitence, was the pillion rider.

The SUV, owned by Azruddin Mohamed, was driven by Nadia Mohamed of Houston Gardens, East Bank Demerara (EBD).

The police release said the SUV “was proceeding west along the northern drive lane of the southern carriageway of Nelson Mandela Avenue, whilst the motorcycle was proceeding north along Critchlow Avenue.

Based on the police report, the rider of the motorcycle reportedly failed to stop as he approached the junction of Nelson Mandela and Critchlow Avenue.

Police said the motorcyclist, with Sam at the back, “proceeded to cross the road going from south to north in a bid to proceed onto the northern carriageway at an opening between the median.”

As a result, the police noted, the motorcycle crossed into the path of the SUV.

The front of the motor jeep came into contact with the right side of the motorcycle, and as a result of the collision, the motorcyclist and the pillion rider were thrown onto the road surface where they received injuries about their bodies,” the police statement said.

Oudkerk was picked up in a semi-conscious state by emergency responders. Sam was transported to the GPHC and is still receiving treatment.

Sam’s body is currently awaiting an autopsy at the Memorial Gardens Funeral Home. Police said Sam had not been wearing a helmet at the time of the collision. The investigation into the matter is ongoing.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top
All our printed editions are available online
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.