New Zealand call off Pakistan tour over security concerns
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on whatsapp
NZC chief executive David White:
NZC chief executive David White: "Player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option" AFP/Getty Images

(ESPNCRICINFO) – New Zealand have called off their limited-overs tour of Pakistan citing security concerns, leaving the cricket community in Pakistan unimpressed. PCB chairman Ramiz Raja was especially critical of the New Zealand Cricket decision, saying, “Walking out of the tour by taking a unilateral approach on a security threat is very frustrating. Especially when it is not shared! Which world is NZ living in? NZ will hear us at ICC.”

The tour, comprising three ODIs and five T20Is, was supposed to start today, with the first ODI in Rawalpindi, but neither team left their hotel on the morning of the game, and spectators were not allowed to enter the stadium.

After a period of uncertainty, as details regarding the cause of the delay were awaited, a NZC statement was issued, saying, “Following an escalation in the New Zealand Government threat levels for Pakistan, and advice from NZC security advisors on the ground, it has been decided the Blackcaps will not continue with the tour.”

The New Zealand contingent in Pakistan is now preparing to leave the country.
“I understand this will be a blow for the PCB, who have been wonderful hosts, but player safety is paramount and we believe this is the only responsible option,” NZC chief executive David White said in the statement.

Jacinda Ardern, the New Zealand prime minister who spoke to Imran Khan, her counterpart in Pakistan, insisted that player safety had to be prioritised. “When I spoke with the prime minister of Pakistan, I conveyed our thanks for taking care of the New Zealand cricket team,” she was quoted as saying by media back home in New Zealand. “I know how disappointing it will be for everyone that the game hasn’t gone ahead, but we totally support the decision that’s been made. Player safety has to be paramount.”

The PCB responded with a statement indicating its unhappiness at what it called a “unilateral” decision.
“Earlier today, the New Zealand cricket board informed us that they had been alerted to some security alert and have unilaterally decided to postpone the series,” the statement said. “PCB and Govt of Pakistan made foolproof security arrangements for all visiting teams.

We have assured the New Zealand cricket board of the same. The Prime Minister spoke personally to the Prime Minister of New Zealand and informed her that we have one of the best intelligence systems in the world and that no security threat of any kind exists for the visiting team.

“The security officials with the NZ team have been satisfied with security arrangements made by the Govt of Pakistan throughout their stay here.”
On the subject of “foolproof security”, there was a significantly heavier security cover in the approach to the Rawalpindi stadium than has perhaps been in evidence since cricket trickled back into the country.

Roadblocks had been set up miles from the stadium several hours ahead of time, and security searches were extensive. The New Zealand squad had landed in Islamabad on September 11 and had since held three training sessions in the run-up to the first ODI. Both the teams were staying in a hotel that, with all security protocols in place, was about a 15-minute drive away from the ground.

This was New Zealand’s first tour to Pakistan in 18 years, after 2003

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on google
Google+
Share on whatsapp
WhatsApp
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on whatsapp
Scroll to Top
All our printed editions are available online

E-Papers Daily

Pepperpot

Business Supplement

Supplement

emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.