No results yet for tests done in Aishalton
The community of Aishalton in Region Nine
The community of Aishalton in Region Nine

… local authorities providing supplies to families in quarantine

By Vishani Ragobeer

NO additional test results have been collected as yet, following the confirmation of nine COVID-19 cases and one death in the Deep South Rupununi village of Aishalton, according to Public Relations Officer (PRO) of the South Rupununi District Council (SRDC), Immaculata Casimero.

This village has been placed under a month-long lockdown after these cases were recorded. This was the first set of cases recorded in the village since the pandemic last year. When the Guyana Chronicle spoke to the village’s Toshao on Thursday last, he noted that while nine COVID-19 cases have been detected thus far, contact tracing was conducted and further tests would be conducted.

On Saturday, however, Casimero noted that those results have not been returned as yet, but he highlighted that the families have all been placed into home quarantine and are being monitored. And to support these families while in quarantine, the SRDC — a local non-governmental organisation (NGO)– has been working alongside the village authorities to provide supplies.

On Thursday, after an emergency meeting with the response team in the village, it was noted that a curfew starting at 18:00hrs and lasting until 06:00hrs the next day has been instituted. This curfew will be in place until May 15 and will be enforced by members of the Guyana Police Force (GPF), the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) and the Village Council.

Additionally, Aishalton’s Village Council, by way of public notice, has indicated that visitors or non-residents, and people from neighbouring Brazil will not be permitted to enter the community. Individuals conducting official business, such as government officers, contractors and medical personnel, are exempt from this.

Businesses should be closed by 18:00hrs daily and all social gatherings, including sports, church services and fundraisers are suspended. Businesses are also required to ensure that their premises are outfitted with sanitisation stations. Buses entering the village must not transport non-residents without permission from the village council and all passengers should be listed on a manifest and present themselves to gate monitors for screening.
“Residents leaving the village must first check with the doctor for screening, obtain a signed medical document and then proceed to the village council for a pass letter signed by the village council. Persons coming into Aishalton must have a signed letter from their respective village council, stating the purpose of their travel, and must follow all village measures,” the notice said.

It was noted too that there will be a system in place for the transportation of goods and services on selected days; this will be facilitated by the village council and the business community in Aishalton.

In light of these new restrictions, Casimero said also, “We are trying to do public awareness to see how they can abide by the rules.”

SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp
All our printed editions are available online
emblem3
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.