LIKE every professional organisation around the world and the country, the Environmental Protection Agency has been affected by the COVID 19 pandemic. We began our year by highlighting our accomplishments in 2019 and plans for 2020; many of those plans however had to be modified. Nevertheless the Agency quickly adapted and implemented systems to continue its work effectively despite the challenges of the pandemic.
* Temporary suspension of field operations e.g. site inspections, visits to investigate complaints etc. These activities resumed after approximately three months;
* Suspended physical consultations for the ban on single-use plastics; virtual consultations were instead held;
* Increased our social media presence and conducted competitions for various environmental observances;
* Recent suspension of Short Term Noise Permits for social activities; and
* Provision of masks for staff, increased hand sanitizing stations, temperature checks at the security hut, rotation of staff working days to reduce the incidence of contraction of the virus, and no mask-no entry mandate.
Despite these challenges, the Agency has developed a plan for 2021 which we allow us to get back into the field and interacting with the public. We would like to extend belated Christmas greetings from the management and staff at the EPA; our team is grateful for your partnership and support throughout 2020. As we reflect upon this year, we should celebrate and be grateful for our successes and learn from our shortcomings. Take nothing for granted and be thankful that you have such great family and friends to spend this joyous season with. Our team would like to extend wishes to you for much success in the coming year.
You can share your ideas and questions by sending letters to: “Our Earth, Our Environment”, C/O Communications Department, Environmental Protection Agency, Ganges Street, Sophia, GEORGETOWN, or email us at: email@example.com, follow us on Facebook and Instagram, and subscribe to our YouTube channel.