Evidence from Berbice teens’ murder sent to St. Lucia for analysis
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on whatsapp

EVIDENCE gathered from investigations into the murders of West Coast Berbice teenagers Isaiah Henry, Joel Henry and Haresh Singh has been sent to St. Lucia for analysis, President Dr. Irfaan Ali has revealed.

During an interview with media personnel at his office, the President said: “We have a team that has left for St. Lucia with some of the evidence to do more detailed analysis, so that is going on at the same time. For confidentiality reasons, the regional body has asked to have certain things respected from their perspective and we are sticking to that. There are components of the MoU that can’t be made public.”

While noting that there is a cost attached to the support Guyana is receiving from the regional body, he added that the matter of cost “is a small issue in relation to what we hope to achieve and that is bringing these people [perpetrators] to justice.”

The five-member team of investigators from the Regional Security System (RSS) on Tuesday commenced its investigations to assist the Guyana Police Force (GFP) with the three high-profile murders in Berbice.

The team, which is led by an assistant commissioner of police, comprises officials from countries within the Regional Investigative Management Systems (RIMS).

Their visit is within the framework of a Memorandum of Understanding between the Government of Guyana and The Caribbean Community Implementation Agency for Crime and Security (CARICOM IMPACS). It follows a decision by President Dr. Irfaan Ali to seek regional assistance to investigate the West Berbice murders.

Police Press Officer Assistant Commissioner Royston Andries-Junor said the visiting team will be assisting with the investigation and has been given scope to review and explore all avenues necessary to find answers relating to the murders.

On September 6, the bodies of teen cousins Isaiah and Joel Henry were found in the backlands of Cotton Tree, WCB, almost one day after they were reported missing.

They had left their Number Three Village, WCB home to pick coconuts in the backlands, but did not return home. Their butchered bodies were found in clumps of bushes partially covered in mud, after relatives went in search of them.

The news of their deaths sparked protests across several villages along the West Coast Berbice corridor and several commuters were beaten and robbed. With blocked roads, some vehicles were also torched.

And then, on September 9, Haresh Singh, 17, was found murdered in the Number Three Village backlands. It is suspected that his death was in retaliation for the murders of Isaiah and Joel, since he is related to one of the persons initially held by the police.

Meanwhile, several persons who were arrested for the murders of the Henry teens were released on station bail, but no arrest has been made in relation to Singh’s murder.

Police had explained that the location where the bodies of the Henry boys were found was not the primary crime scene; that is, it was not the location where the young men were killed.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on whatsapp
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on google
Share on whatsapp
Scroll to Top
All our printed editions are available online



International Edition


Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to recieve news and updates.
We respect your privacy.