A MOTHER of 10, whose teenage pregnant daughter was allegedly raped by her father, returned to her homeland, unexpectedly, so as to allow the police investigators to intervene in the matter.
She is hoping that her four minors can return with her to their adopted homeland, in the not too distant future.
The 40-year-old woman, who resides in the United States, told the Guyana Chronicle Wednesday that her 15-year-old daughter was allegedly impregnated after a single sexual encounter with an adult, who is currently incarcerated.
The family only became aware of the conception when the teen was four months in gestation. Subsequently, the father, who previously lived in Suriname, returned to his place of birth in Guyana and took up residence with his mother and four of his children.
Initially, the children — three girls and a boy, aged 15, 13, 10 and six years old respectively, had migrated to the United States in 2012 with their mother and five older siblings.
But, two years later, their mother was forced to make the decision of having the younger children return to their homeland, and they were left in the care of their paternal grandmother.
All was going well until their father returned to Guyana last November, and, on seeing his pregnant daughter, and realising the circumstances surrounding the minor’s pregnancy, allegedly told her that he needed to have sex with her.
This, he reportedly said, would make “a passage for the birth of the baby”.
But the teen rebuked him, saying it was not a proper thing to do. But the 42-year-old man allegedly forced himself on her.
The act was done repeatedly, even after the teen delivered her son. When a report was made to the paternal grandmother, the young mother was greeted with a series of expletives.
Subsequently, the matter was reported to the overseas-based mother, who spoke with the children’s grandmother on June 24 last.
‘COME GET YOUR CHILDREN’
During the conversation, the grandmother reportedly said, “Come and get your children. I already put out my son. What more do you want me to do?”
Unknown to her children, the woman returned to Guyana last Saturday, but instead of going to their home in New Amsterdam, she visited the Central Police Station and made a report.
Thereafter, she was accompanied by the police to one of several housing schemes where the three girls were taken and subsequently medically examined by a doctor at the New Amsterdam Hospital.
A file has since been sent to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecution for advice while the suspect remains in police custody.
Meanwhile, the teen’s mother, looking out on the verandah of her home, said it was never her desire to have her daughters become victims of sexual assaults, and, for this reason, she entrusted them in the care of their grandmother.
“I thought I could have trusted her. This incident is an eye-opener. I decided to take all the girls because I did not want him to move from one child to the next. It’s a stain. Nothing can remove that stain when a father has sex with his daughter. As a victim, you can push another encounter out of your mind, but when a father forgets his role, and, instead of protecting, defiles his child… that can never be forgotten.
“Just imagine, I had to return to Guyana to take a father to court, for allegedly raping his daughter. I cannot turn back the hands of time. I know someday he will have to be involved in the life of the other children, but for now, he has forgotten his role and so, he has to face the consequence of his actions,” the mother, with tears rolling down her face, said.
While she awaits the outcome of the investigations, it is hoped that the children would be given an opportunity to return to the United States where they are lawful permanent residents.
Meanwhile, the father was granted $100,000 bail after he appeared before Magistrate Renita Singh at the Reliance Magistrate’s Court, East Canje.
He is required to lodge his passport until the determination of the matter.
The 42-year-old unemployed man was not required to plead to the indictable charge which stated that between December 1, 2016, and May 13, 2017, at Bermine Housing Scheme, he sexually penetrated a 15-year-old girl.
The unrepresented man told the court that his daughter lived with him for a period in Suriname and he never molested her. However,when he returned to Guyana last year to address immigration issues, the allegations were made against him.
He claimed that he would never hurt his daughter as he is fully aware that he has to protect her.
The matter is fixed for hearing on July 31.