Mother of three brutally attacked at Cato –in serious condition at GPH
The seriously injured Koreen Samuel
The seriously injured Koreen Samuel

A THIRTY-two-year old mother of three is in a serious condition in the Georgetown Public Hospital Corporation (GPHC) after being brutally attacked by a seemingly psychopathic individual in her home at Cato, Region 8.

The victim, Koreen Samuel, was beaten on the head and face with a heavy-duty torchlight and suffered a fractured skull, broken nose, and injuries to both eyes. She is now unable to see properly out of the eyes.
The woman’s husband, Jeremiah Samuel, a farmer, recalled that the vicious attack occurred onSunday, June 9th, shortly after 22:00hrs. It was the same night that a police rank from the Cato Police Station was having a birthday bash.Jeremiah said that he and his wife had been invited to the party and returned home to find his home was broken into. He said the two of them got up and went to enquire what was going on when they were confronted by a man and his wife, known to them and both drunk.
The house was dimly lit, he recalled, adding that it was powered by a 12-volt solar system, which was already run down. However, they were able to recognise the intruders, whom they identified as Colin Sebastian 36, and his wife, Francelani, about 32.
Jeremiah said that the male intruder beat his (Jeremiah’s) wife with the object until she fell to the ground bleeding. Samuels’ three children were at home at the time and were forced to witness and endure the brutal attack levelled against their mother. Jeremiah tried to keep the intruder at bay, but was also threatened.
The hapless husband said that as the intruder entered the home, he threatened he would sodomize his (Jeremiah’s) wife and kill him and their children. Soon after, the couple left the home hurling a string of expletives at them.
Jeremiah said he placed his badly injured and bleeding wife on his motorcycle and transported her to the Cato Cottage Hospital, where she was treated and kept for observation. He made a report to the Cato Hospital, and the man, having been pursued by the police, was found hiding somewhere near a relative’s home. The police allegedly took him into custody for the remainder of the night, until he was sober and set him free. He is now left to walk freely and at liberty to perpetrate the same or similar crimes.
Meanwhile, the affected family as well as other concerned families in the neighbourhood are adamant that the police handled the matter unprofessionally. They claim they are fearful for their lives, especially since Sebastian allegedly threatened to kill them and has already waged a vigorous onslaught against Jeremiah’s wife.
The couple claims that they are terrified and deeply concerned about the safety of their children who are left at Cato, now that they (the parents) have to be in Georgetown throughout Koreen’s period of hospitalisation.


Scroll to Top
All our printed editions are available online
Subscribe to the Guyana Chronicle.
Sign up to receive news and updates.
We respect your privacy.