GENERAL Secretary of the ruling People’s Progressive Party (PPP), Mr Clement Rohee, has made a resounding call on Kaieteur News publisher Glenn Lall to release all the recordings he holds in his possession to target citizens and officials of the state.Deeming them “elements of the blackmailing tactic” used by Lall, Rohee, last Monday at his party’s weekly press conference, called on Lall to release the recordings, if indeed there are any.
Rohee said, “We understanding that one element of the blackmailing tactic is that they (KN) have more recordings to be published.” He said that to the party’s knowledge, there are more revelations to be made with respect to other recordings. As such, he made a reverberating call for those recordings to be released.
“We understand that one element of the blackmailing tactic is that they have more recordings to be published.”
– PPP General Secretary Clement Rohee
“Our position on that if (that) there are more recordings; let the recordings be released!” Rohee said.
The revelation of the recordings comes against the backdrop of Glenn Lall’s recent release of a 19-minute recording of a private conversation engaged on October 25 between Attorney-General (AG) and Minister of Legal Affairs, Anil Nandlall, and senior Kaieteur News reporter Leonard Gildharie.
“If there are more recordings, let them be released!”
– PPP General Secretary Clement Rohee
Lall subsequently reported to Deputy Police Commissioner Balram Persaud that the contents of the recording indicate that his life and the lives of his family members and staffers were under threat.
Following this development, a source close to the embattled Kaieteur News publication told the Guyana Chronicle that Lall is presently in possession of recordings of private conversations made between reporters attached to the newspaper and senior officials of the Opposition parties, A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and the Alliance For Change (AFC).
Asking to remain unidentified, that source disclosed that conversations involving AFC Leader Khemraj Ramjattan and AFC Executive Member Moses Nagamootoo are “on hold” because the two men are involved in Lall’s legal defence relative to the recent disclosure of the 19-minute recording.
The AFC Leader has, however, also expressed strong sentiments on the matter, and was firm in his contention that laws related to privacy, confidentiality and security of online communications must be enforced. “All the laws related to privacy must be enforced…we are filled with laws, we have no deficiency of laws, but they are not adhered to,” Ramjattan said.
Moreover, since releasing the 19-minute recording, Lall himself has admitted that conversations made on the phones he has given to his employees -– whether private or work-related — are recorded. This debacle follows concerns raised as recently as last week over Lall’s illegal surveillance of the phone calls and other communications of his staff members, Government officials, and private Guyanese citizens.