THE Ministry of Culture, Youth and Sport has announced that there is still time for input into the drafting of the National Youth Policy. In this regard, another consultation was held yesterday at the Ministry’s Boardroom by the Youth Steering Committee where the participants, most of which are Guyanese based non-profit organisations and youth centred agencies, were able to review and discuss the existing draft of the policy.While yesterday’s session was reportedly “small”, the ministry said a much larger consultation/symposium will be held on February 18 where senior officials from the public sector, development agencies and civil society will be able to make their inputs.
While addressing the gathering, Permanent Secretary, Alfred King noted that the consultations started in 2013 with support from the Commonwealth Youth Programme (CYP) who provided financial and technical support. The process included regional consultations, Facebook blasts and an online survey.
To date a preliminary draft of the policy has been completed and the second draft is expected to be completed by the 17th February, 2014.
PS King emphasised that attention is on ensuring that the consultations reach as many youth stakeholders as possible.
Meanwhile, Minister Anthony explained that while the existing policy is dated there are some aspects that are applicable today. One of the areas in that policy the minister asked the gathering to consider is the definition of youth. Another area is the coordination of youth work. This aspect is part of the existing policy. However, it was not implemented.
The minister pointed out that rewarding youths for their contributions should also be considered. Other important areas are male marginalisation and social issues including teenage pregnancy and unemployment.
Dr Anthony recognised that the preparation of the new youth policy has had some starts and stops which was due to the consultants recommending things that were not relevant to Guyana. Nevertheless, that has passed and CYP is funding two persons from Barbados to work with the ministry and the steering committee.
While several consultations were previously held, Minister Anthony stressed the need for additional contributions. “We do not want a document that is not reflective of the peoples’ views,” he said. In this regard, he urged the gathering to make comments and suggestions on areas of the draft document they view to be lacking.
The minister noted matters concerning youths are vast and some may fall out of the remit of the ministry. Nevertheless, partnerships with other ministries and agencies are welcomed.
The youth policy, when completed, will represent a mainstreamed and integrated policy response to youth transition phases, and will reflect a network and coordinated commitment on matters related to adolescents and youths throughout Guyana.
Upon completion, the ministry will make recommendations and seek the approval of Cabinet before taking it to Parliament.
Second draft of National Youth Policy expected to be completed soon
SHARE THIS ARTICLE :
Facebook
Twitter
WhatsApp