Home > Columns > Site layout and property design

Site layout and property design

Construction corner…
TODAY, the Chronicle Construction Corner continues its series on `Home Owership’, and this is being done in conjunction with the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CHPA) of the Ministry of Housing and Water.

The CHPA feels very strongly about adhering to standards when coming to site layout and property design, and as such we’ve thought it useful to revisit with you some important guidelines to help with sticking to DETAIL as you develop your prized piece of land and build your dream home.

Things To Remember
1. To identify the house lot you have been allocated and locate all boundary paals.

2. Erect an ownership information sign, for example:

‘John Jones, Lot # 1’ , where it is visible/readable to everyone .

3. Clear and level the land of all existing vegetation, as well as identify and fix any existing soft areas.

4. Ensure that you do not remove any paals during the preceding process.

5. Prepare your House Plan through an Architect or Draughtsman

Allocation & Beyond
After allocation, it is advisable that you purchase a Building Application Form
from your area’s Local Authority.
You are required to prepare working drawings (Building Plans) of the proposed design of your home, which should include Floor Plans, Site Plan and two (2) Elevation Drawings.

NB: Floor plans and elevations should be drawn to 1/8” – 1’ – 0” scale

Site Plans should be drawn to 1/16” -1’ – 0” scale

These drawings (three (3) copies), along with your Land Transport Title and Processing Fee must be submitted to your Local Authority, which will ultimately decide, after checking the plans to ensure they are in accordance with existing Building Regulations, whether to approve or reject your Building Permit.

Important! No building — which includes any structure or erection of any kind, whether permanent or temporary — should be constructed without permission from the Local Authority.

Bedroom sizes should be 10 ft x10 ft minimum, and preferably located on the Windward (north-east) side of the building.

No less than two (2) exits should be included in the design of your structure.

The Septic Tank should be located 10 feet from your property’s back boundary.

The Site Plan must clearly indicate:

1. The size and position of the proposed building in relation to the property’s boundaries;

2. A proposed 10-foot Building Setback from the property’s Front Boundary;

3. An arrow indicating the north point

4. Boundary measurements

Single-story houses should be elevated approximately three (3) to four (4) feet above ground level.

• Carefully landscape and beautify your home surroundings, as it will add to the enhancement of the community in which you live.

• It has been observed that there is now a tendency among new homeowners to concrete the entire yard space. It is advisable that you avoid doing this and leave a little space to indulge in a bit of home-gardening.

Need Advice? Then the best person you should seek it from is:
• An Environmental Health Officer (Public Health Inspector )
• An Overseer
• The Town Clerk
• A Building Inspector

Did You Know…
• That the Central Housing and Planning Authority (CHPA) is an agency within the Ministry of Housing & Water, and that it is located at 41 Brickdam & United Nations Place here in the city?

• That through legislation enacted in 1946 , the CHPA is empowered to bring under its control any area of land or region for purposes of a planning scheme (development plan)?

• That the CHPA, through its Planning Department, plans, monitors and regulates land use activities in all areas to ensure that development is carried out in a proper and harmonious manner, and in the best interest of the public?

Then it’s high time you did.
That will be all for today, until next week!

Leave a Reply

Hit Counter provided by laptop reviews