— will be barred from receiving donation from public
IN LIGHT of alleged threats made to the family of Berbice carpenter Faiyaz Narinedatt by relatives of the accused, the protocol of direct donations, notably to ranks at police stations facing the red flag, is expected to be discontinued.
Public Security Minister, Khemraj Ramjattan said the operational protocol which exists within the Guyana Police Force is that donations are accepted via the Office of the Police Commissioner.
He was at the time speaking directly about the conflict of interest which existed in the Berbice area where Narinedatt was killed and wanted man Marcus Bisram, through his foundation had been a regular funder of the police there.
“I am absolutely certain that we will have to enforce the operational protocol right now and not give it (donations) directly to policemen,” Ramjattan said.
He said that indeed there are times when the police or the Community Policing Groups (CPGs) require the assistance of businessmen, noting that there are genuine members of the business community who assist the police and do so without compromise.
He gave the example of the donation of fuel in some police divisions.
However, he added, “we do not want to see businessmen giving and expecting that they, having committed a crime, will now see that CPG group or the police officer compromising the investigation thereafter”.
He said that the matter will have to be studied to determine if indeed there is compromise as to professionalism of police ranks in certain areas.
Ramjattan was “totally unaware” that Bisram had assisted the police over the years. In light of the threats, he said that he has reassured the family of Narinedatt to not be afraid.
Meanwhile, Ramjattan noted that the Skeldon Police Station will be revamped following the allegations of bribery.
He said the Police Commissioner has informed that the Office of Professional Responsibility (OPR) of the Police Force is conducting “major investigations” into the institutional functions of that police station.
“There is something about that area,” Ramjattan said, noting that the process of removing rogue ranks there has already commenced.
Bisram, the owner of a US-based charity is wanted by the police for allegedly ordering the murder of Narinedatt. Several persons have since been placed before the courts in relation to the murder of the young carpenter, who was allegedly killed after he refused sexual advances from Bisram.
Bisram, 27, of Number 70 Village, Corentyne, Berbice, is wanted by police for questioning in relation to the murder of Narinedatt which occurred on November 1, 2016, at that village.
Interpol has since issued a wanted bulletin for him.