Suriname stun Guyana 3-2 in extra time


From Ras Wadada in Paramaribo 

Compliments of German’s Restaurant and Lens Craft Optical

AN EXTRA time double by substitute Ivanildo Rozenblad piloted Suriname to a come-from-behind 3-2 win over rivals Guyana, in Saturday’s opening match of Group One in the 3rd round of the CFU-Scotiabank Senior Men’s Championship played at the Andre Kamperveen Stadium in Paramaribo.The game, which kicked off amid heavy rains that began some 22 minutes before the scheduled start and ended some ten minutes before the halftime interval, was forced into thirty minutes extra time after the teams were deadlocked at 1, when regulation time ended.
Marcel Barrington gave the Golden Jaguars the lead after five minutes when he displayed sound composure in controlling the ball with his back to the goal at the top of the box on the attacking left. He turned his marker inside out before hitting a low right-booter with the Surinamese custodian well out of his goal.
The wet and soggy conditions seemingly favoured the all-gold Jaguars, but as the rains eased and came to a final halt minutes from lemon-time, the all-white home-side gradually were able to look more cohesive.
Guyana had a golden opportunity to increase the lead in the 13th minute but Dwight Peters, unmarked and unchallenged, at the far post could muster only a feeble shot.
Suriname’s first effort to force a save from the debutant 18-year-old Kai Lyle was calmly collected from a Stefano Russel shot in the 16th minute and one minute later Colin Nelson had to make a timely tackle from close up in the area to deny the mesmerising Roxey Fer.
Fer, in tandem, with Dimitri Apai and Russel were causing some concern to the Guyana’s defence and on one occasion Lyle had to come off his line to thwart Fer’s attempt on goal then it was the near post that saved the Jaguars, as Fer was persistently working his way past the Guyana defenders time and again.
The Jaguars were just able to hold on to their 1-0 lead at the half.
The home side went on the attack immediately after the resumption with the diminutive Fer, one of four starters from Robin Hood FC, coming up one foot short of a ball that was played across the goal mouth by Russel and left the Guyana defence flat-footed and Lyle out of place.
The over 1 500 home fans eventually got a goal to cheer as Mitchell Kisoor capitalised on a grave blunder by Lyle in the 12th minute of the 2nd period to score the equaliser.
Lyle left his line and was a bit hesitant as the ball was in the air for a while just at the top of the area. He waited for the bounce and then the ball eluded his attempt to grab as Kissor netted in an open goal.
Coach Jamal Shabazz then went to his bench after 19 minutes of the second period. He replaced Trayon Bobb with Warren Creavalle and Cashion London came on for Vurlon Mills. Suriname meanwhile removed Kisoor and brought on Rozenbald who later proved to be the hero.
Both sides went in search of the winner that never came in regulation time and when Jamaican referee Dwight Royal pointed to the middle to single the end of the game the home side looked relieved as they were beginning to look the fitter of the teams.
In the 10th minute of the first fifteen-minute half, Brandon Beresford found an unmarked London at the far post but his attempted header was way off target.
With two minutes remaining for the first extra-time period, Apai wormed his way down the left into the box and to the goal line where he drew Lyle out of the goal after wrong-footing the defence.
His calculated square across the goal mouth only needed a tap in from Rozenbald into an open goal and for the first time in the match the Surinamese took the lead.
Rozenbald then produced a beauty of his own in the 4th minute of the second period as he shifted the Guyana defenders out of position inside the area before firing past Lyle at the near post for his 2nd conversion of the game which was now out of Guyana’s reach.
The Jaguars managed a consolation goal one minute from full time, as the 6ft 8in Lyle left his citadel for a corner kick where he rose head and shoulder above all, to bury his first goal for Guyana in his first outing.