KINGSTON, Jamaica (CMC) – Sidelined West Indies wicketkeeper Carlton Baugh Jr. is in hot water with cricket authorities in Jamaica after missing a national training session without receiving permission.
The Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) has confirmed that Baugh is to attend a disciplinary hearing sometime this week before a possible return to the national setup to continue training in preparation for the new season starting in January.
Baugh missed a training session on the December 20 to attend to personal business after his request for a day off from practice was refused, the Jamaica Observer has reported.
“He (Baugh) is not a part of the training squad now, but it doesn’t mean he is no longer a part of the team,” said newly-elected JCA president Wilford Heaven.
“That matter is to be dealt with and there is a process to be followed.”
Baugh’s absence from training as part of a 45-member squad has prompted speculation about his future in the 14-man squad to be chosen for the upcoming Regional Super50 tournament.
Media reports in Jamaica suggest his absence from training is as a result of an impasse between the player and the national selection panel, headed by chairman Wavell Hinds.
Baugh himself has declined comment but reports say he has been showing up for each session.
“Let me just tell you that the fundamental thing is that this or any other sport can’t go forward with any form of indiscipline, especially when senior players are involved, so you can either lead by example or be an example,” Heaven said.
Baugh has been Jamaica’s most prominent wicketkeeper/batsman in recent times playing in 102 first-class matches, scoring 12 centuries and 22 half-centuries and taking 205 catches and executing 24 stumpings.
He has played 21 Test matches and 47 One-Day Internationals for the West Indies and was a part of the Jamaica Tallawahs team that won the inaugural Caribbean Premier League (CPL) Twenty20 tournament earlier this year.