Suriname’s Inter Moengotapoe successfully defend title


Inter Guiana Club Football Championship Cup …
INTER  Moengotapoe of Suriname successfully defended their title to make it two consecutive Cup wins in the annual Inter Guiana Club Football Championship Cup which was hosted at the Georgetown Cricket Club (GCC) Ground.
The team started the three-day tournament, which is in its third year, on two points and trailed the Guyana Defence Force (GDF) team who also had two points and leaders Alpha United who had four points.
In the feature match-up, the defending champions easily defeated Alpha United 3-0 to jump to five points and the cup win to walk away with the cash incentive of US$1 500 and Geldar De Kourou recorded their first victory to move to four points and claim third place.
Alpha’s performance gained them the second place position, while the army team occupied the final spot.
The Surinamese put up their best performance in their final encounter after getting off to a shaky start to the tournament by playing to two tough draws against GDF and Geldar.
Inter M.T and Alpha United displayed good attack runs against each other and polished it off with resolute defending for the entire first 45 minutes.
However, the Surinamese team began playing more aggressive football and bore through Alpha’s defensive which began to lag after a while.
Alpha were pushed on the back foot when Inter M.T drew first blood against them compliments of Maasie Amaktie who later went on to record a brace.
The second half commenced with Alpha United coming out looking for the equaliser but found themselves down by two goals in the 55th minute when Amaktie exposed the custodian weakness by blasting a flat hard shot which gave him quite a hard time to get down to save.
Dima Steven accounted for Inter M.T’s final goal in the 84th minute by easily guiding a ball into the back of the net when he received a flat, hard cross from his team mate on the left flank that once again got past Williams.
Earlier, GDF and Geldar contested a tough first half that could have gone either way with the slightest edge as they equally controlled ball possession and created good opportunities to score.
However, the second half resumed with the two teams picking up where they left off but an opportunity taken by Orpheo Nalie in the 60th minute for the Geldar was the goal that decided the match.