GFF gives green light to organisers for NAMILCO resumption


— triple-header set for today
THE Guyana Football Federation (GFF) has given the Fruta Conquerors Football Club the green light to resume the 3rd annual NAMILCO football tournament which was temporarily suspended last weekend.

The tournament will resume today at the Tucville ground with a triple-header card beginning at 16:00 h.

In the opening game, Georgetown Football Association’s Division One champions Riddim Squad will engage Pele, while the main supporting game, which is billed to commence at 18:00 h, will see Santos tackle Topp XX and from 20:00 h, GDF will take on Buxton United.

The tournament was suspended by the GFF following an altercation between the president (Garfield Pyrell) of one of the clubs contesting the feature game on Friday evening at the same venue and two spectators (Ethon Cordis and Hubert Gordon) which resulted in Cordis and Gordon receiving stab wounds about their bodies.

Pyrell, who has since been charged with wounding, appeared in the Magistrate’s Court and has been remanded to prison until November 3 when he will make his next appearance in court.

Apart from that, the GFF’s disciplinary committee met on Wednesday evening and made a decision to ban Pyrell for life for entering the Tucville ground for any activity.

According to Fruta Conquerors secretary Lavern Fraser-Thomas, when the GFF’s disciplinary committee met on Wednesday evening to decide the fate of the tournament, the committee members were all in favour of giving the go-ahead for the tournament to be resumed, but under certain conditions.

According to Fraser-Thomas, the committee members requested that the organisers ensure that there is stricter security presence at the venue during matches, there are uniformed police present during matches and that spectators do not get onto the playing area during matches.

Fraser-Thomas assured that the demands of the GFF would be adhered to.

Riddim Squad and Pele who were contesting the feature game on the opening day of the tournament last Friday were tied 1-1 with nine minutes remaining in regulation time when an argument broke out between Pyrell and other spectators and Pyrell allegedly stabbed Cordis and Gordon and this caused the officiating referee to call a halt to the proceedings.

In the opening game last Friday, Sunburst Camptown beat Uprising 4-1.

Kwame LaFleur, Lance Rolston, Telson McKinnon and Nigel Codrington netted for the Campbellville-based team in the 26th, 58th, 67th and 78th minutes respectively while Rensford Coolridge responded for Uprising in the 60th minute.